Monday, March 1, 2010

My Body Exhausted, My Heart Delighted

Returning from “the trip” with a cold and a battle against a sinus infection (I won!), let’s just say I wasn’t the Good Humor Kid. Add to that, a long stint of babysitting that I hoped to survive without getting sicker and being a total grouch, a long week loomed ahead of me.

I’m not sure if it was a “time heals all” or the fact that my days were filled with the delight of a 21 month old, but I did mend. Sure, I feel into bed each night exhausted after a day full of “Hand. Show me.” Which translates into “let me lead you to where I want you to play with me,” I still felt better.

When her older sisters hit the door after school, then it was snack time, homework overseeing and preparing dinner…all in between trips of “show me” and I delighted in the smile it brought to the little face staring at me with the huge grey/blue eyes. It was even difficult to be angry at 2 a.m. when she woke up and decided to talk me/her back to sleep.

So, yes I’m happy to be back home in my world of make believe, but seeing the world through the eyes of a toddler and a couple of pre-teens not only brought joy to my heart, but also material for the YA novel I started recently…evil Nana.

My hat is off to mothers, like my daughter, who juggle it all and keep MOST of the balls in the air. How quickly we forget when the children move on.

And yes, I slept for twelve hours my first night home!

Here's hoping your world is filled with delight of some kind.

Lizzie

2 comments:

Helen Hardt said...

Glad you're settling in to writing. I'm determined to write my a** off this month!

Lizzie said...

It is a challenge at times, Helen. Especially, when life keeps getting in the way!