Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Recipe Wednesday -- How About Sweet Potatoes?

Growing up in North Carolina I ate a lot of sweet potatoes.  They still are one of my favorite comfort foods, but in addition there is a lot of nutrition packed in those tubers.  

My husband loves to nosh at night, so I came up with the brilliant idea a few weeks ago to buy sweet potato chips.  They’re made from healthy produce, so why not convert him from corn chips since he does like sweet potato.  Well, as in lots of good ideas you need to read the package my friends…fried, the little slices of goodness is in there with regular potato and corn chips on calories, fat and salt. 

Then I put my mind to work on something other than paranormal creature and/or sexy stories.  Why not try to make my own by oven roasting them.  I went out on the internet and searched for recipes and ideas and got the basics down.  From there I gave it a try yesterday with one sweet potato…after all, if my efforts flopped I didn’t want to destroy good food.  I’m happy to say it didn’t!  Darling Husband loved the end result! 

Here’s what I did:  Washed and dried a sweet potato and then sliced it with a gadget (a mandolin I think it’s called) and threw the thin slices into a bag with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and shook them for a light coating.  Popped them into a 400 degree oven and baked for 12 minutes.  Turned the slices over, dusted them with sea salt and put them back in the over for another 10 minutes.  Once they cooled, they were crunchy and I read somewhere if you don’t eat them all right away, pop them back in the over for a few minutes to re-crisp.  So now I have a healthy snack my husband and I both enjoy. 

What’s even better, they’re good on Weight Watcher diets (1 point, but I forgot the amount), diabetics can enjoy them since sweet potatoes are recommended over regular spuds for them and for us addicts of the yummy tuber, the chips are just plain good. 

Here are a few links with additional recipes so you can see how this very delicious veggie can work in other ways too.  And yes, I know everyone doesn’t like sweet potatoes (I have a daughter who falls into that category…that is until I made Sweet Potato Balls for Thanksgiving one year), but if you may discover there are some combinations that work for you. 




No comments: