Friday, July 1, 2011

Guest Friday! Welcome to the Lovely Linda Wisdom!

Today's guest is a delightful lady who has a lot of books under her belt.  Her Hex series is a fun read and now she's entered the demon world.  Welcome Linda!  I'm a fan and also lucky enough to call her a freind.

And we're lucky that one lucky U.S. winner will receive a copy of Demon's are a Girl's Best Friend.  So make sure to leave a comment to get entered into the drawing!!!

Writing and Cooking  

First off, thank you so much gorgeous Lizzie for having me here today to share one of my favorite recipes. Surprisingly, it’s not chocolate. Trust me, that’s very rare for me.  

Every Monday I sit down with my houseman, Eric. He prepares these gorgeous chocolate filled croissants that pairs beautifully with my latte while we discuss the week’s menus. I gaze into his beautiful blue eyes and … 

Hmm, I did say I write fiction, didn’t I?  

I don’t consider myself a true cook. I love to bake, hate to cook. But the family can’t survive on baked goods alone. I tend to look for fairly easy recipes. Anything that sounds really good and doesn’t require time where I might be writing or reading during prep time and something could burn or turn to charcoal or, well, if there’s anything worse, it could happen.  

It’s so easy to lose myself in a magickal world that it’s amazing the smoke alarm doesn’t go off more often.  

The crock pot is a favorite appliance in my kitchen. I can throw anything and everything in there, do some experimenting with herbs and spices and always come up with something new.  

One recipe I found at a favorite site called www.allrecipes.com is Orange Juice Chicken. I love citrus mixed with chicken or pork and this one sounded so good I had to try it. I also learned something new. There was no reason why I could do this in the crock pot. Five hours of cooking time and I had the same thing. For something extra I added a few spoonfuls of orange marmalade. And sometime I plan to try it with lemon or lime.  

If you like citrus, I hope you’ll give it a try since it is a great idea for summer.  

And if you need some reading material, you can find me at Amazon and BN with a nice variety of books including some of my backlist books as ebooks and more coming. Come visit me at www.lindawisdom.com  

A lucky commenter, US only please, will receive a copy of Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend.  

But tell me. Have you ever had a cooking disaster? Such as forget to turn the crock pot on until you discovered that there weren’t any good cooking smells? I couldn’t even blame it on writing or a reading. Just me not thinking. So tell me about yours so I don’t feel alone.  

And here’s the recipe. Enjoy!  

Orange Juice Chicken  

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread mustard evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with chopped onion. Coat lightly with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and pour in enough orange juice to cover chicken. Add butter on top.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, then remove leftover sauce from baking dish and pour into a saucepan. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and return to oven.

4. Whisk flour into sauce in saucepan. Add any leftover orange juice and heat on high until the sauce thickens. Remove chicken from oven and place on a serving dish; pour sauce over the chicken or into a gravy boat, and serve.

"Passion, danger, and outrageous antics...sure to satisfy."
-RT Book Reviews                                                                                  
A bewitching woman on a mission...
Feisty witch Maggie enjoys her work as a paranormal law enforcement officer-that is, until she's assigned to protect a teenager with major attitude and plenty of Mayan enemies. Maggie's never going to survive this assignment without the help of a half-fire demon who makes her smolder...
A hotter-than-sin hero with an agenda...
Declan is proprietor of an underground club and busy demon portal. No way he'll allow his demon race to be blamed for the malicious acts of some crazy evil Mayans. But he's already got his hands full when the sexy witch offers him a challenge he can't refuse...

14 comments:

Joy Taylor Jaeger said...

Boy that sounds delicious, Linda.

My gourmet disaster meal to special guests once,(only), included roast duck! By the time the grease was disgarded, the bird fell apart, and mostly bones were left! We ate hotdogs! Best, Joy

Kuzlin said...

I loved this book. Going back to read other witchy books!

Linda Wisdom said...

Oh no, Joy!

I once made a Baby Ruth cake that was beyond a disaster but so funny I used it in a book.

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Kuzlin! You'll be glad to know there's more coming.

Marie Andreas said...

LOL- oh I've made many mistakes- not completely defrosted turkey is probably number one ;). Although having friends dye UNCOOKED eggs was a good one too ;). I'm like you- love to bake- not so much on the cooking- but this recipe sounds FABU!! Thanks for posting it :)

Linda Wisdom said...

Marie, dying uncooked eggs could prove crazy. We bakers need to stick together.

Lynda said...

Sounds like a great recipe, Linda!

I've read 'Demons' so don't need a copy. Everyone...this is a fabulous book! You'll love it!

Bridget said...

When I was about 10 I decided I wanted to bake by myself but made the mistake of using baking powder instead of baking soda. Really, really gross biscuits but my mom didn't want to hurt my feelings so she ate them anyway. Thankfully I haven't done that again!

I love baking but don't really like cooking either but that's why my mom and I work so well together. She's an excellent cook and I can bake anything : )

Love your books, Stephanie

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Lynda!

Stephanie, what a great mom! Aren't they great in eating even our disasters?

ElaineCharton said...

I'm late as always. I already read the book. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

I may have to try that recipe Linda. I love to cook and will back but prefer cooking.

Grace Burrowes said...

My mom once grabbed the vanilla instead of the sherry to flavor a stew. Kids ate it, no problem, but she didn't modify the recipe like that ever again.

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Lil Sis! Everyone, Elaine is a great writer too.

LOL Grace! I always remember the movie State Fair where everyone dumped more brandy in the mincemeat and ended up getting the judges drunk. But she won!

Debby said...

I once cooked some ham that was fit only for shoe leather. I have had some pretty spectacular disasters.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Lizzie said...

Debby, you're the winner of a copy of a signed copy of "Demons". Send your snail mail addy to linda@lindawisdom.com

Congratulations!