Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Monday on a Tuesday - Kicking the Blahs to the Curb!

I heard yesterday that the third Monday in January is the most depressing day of the year.  Could that explain why I felt not quite there on the Happy Scale?  January brings a lot of weather issues (yes, we had a front move in), the after holiday excitement drudges (not to mention the bills) and here in the U.S., time to get cracking on income tax stuff...yuk, plus a general dissatisfaction with weight, job and life in general. 

So today, I decided to kick the Blahs to the curb and get back into the fake-it-until-I-make-it mode.  Back to smiling (even at the cat that drove me crazy yesterday) and having the company of a Toddler today for a view of life through her eyes make help too.

As for the smiling…did you know it might save your life?  The sunny outlook can lead to fewer strokes and heart disease.  And yes, I plead guilty to falling into that category most days.  So here’s a few tips to help you (and me) get back in the happy saddle if you’ve fallen off like I did yesterday.

Shift one perspective at a time.   Instead of thinking about how bad a situation is (like book sales down), focus on writing a new book…maybe now is the time to try out the story in a new genre that’s been dancing through your head for weeks or even months.

Laugh!  Watch a funny show, read a funny book or just laugh for the hell of it!  It doesn’t matter if the cat looks at you like you’ve lost your mind, that’s his problem, not yours!

Hang with happy people.  This one I know to be a must.  The people in your life who constantly have a “glass is half empty” attitude can suck some of your “half full” view point off.

Negative thoughts and self-talk.  I read somewhere not to say anything to yourself that you wouldn’t say to others.  In some cases this may not work since some people have an uncensored mouth that goes with their uncensored thoughts.  So let’s rephrase…don’t say anything not nice to others or to yourself!  Replace those “I can’t” with “I can” and reprogram your self-love.  If we don’t love ourselves how can we extend love to others?

There you have it.  Me getting back on the right track and kicking the blahs to the curb.  If you’ve fallen off the track a little too, why don’t you join me in getting back on?  And please, share your tips on how you beat the blues.  I can always use more!

1 comment:

Shonna said...

Count me in!!!
Life is so short, enjoy it as much as you can,.. while you can.