Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Travel Wednesday - The End of the Civilization


Ushuaia, is regarded as the southernmost city in the world and is located in the region of Patagonia, Argentina.  Some refer to it as the end of the world, because there isn’t much civilization south of this location.
This ended up being our first stop on the Antarctica cruise when the ship had to turn back north because of the weather.  The people that live in Ushuaia year-round come from a sturdy gene pool, that’s for sure. All winter of below zero temperatures is not my idea of a fun time.
Though the city may not be the largest in the world, the Patagonia region it sets on the edge of is beautiful.

Today's NOOK READER Question from Monday's blog:  What do I love about Isabella?  Email the answer to lizzietleaf(at)comcast(dot)net to enter.
Here are a few pictures from the trip and one I found for winter.
 
Sailing in to Ushuaia in their summer

 

Their winter taken by the brave soul Peter Smith



 
 


Out in the beautiful countryside...a great trip!



Is this a place you'd like to retire? 
.


 


6 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

I love learning about new places. Thanks for sharing, Lizzie.

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. But winter in the Midwest is too much for me. I don't think I could do subzero temps every day. Brrr!!!

Thanks for sharing, Lizzie!

Sharon Ledwith said...

Well, I live in Canada, where presently it's cold enough for my liking! Thanks for sharing this awesome place with us, Lizzie! Cheers!

Patricia said...

Wow, beautiful pictures, Lizzie. However, I could never live in such a cold place. Being a California girl, it does not snow here and it doesn't rain that much either. And no hot, hot summers. So, I'm a spoiled brat when it comes to mild coastal weather and I love it.

Rita Monette, Writer said...

Nice to visit these cold places from the comfort of my warm office. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, Lizzie.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm freezing the Midwest! Beautiful pictures, but I'm too much of a wimp!!