Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Wenching Tuesday - Samantha Combs

Tuesdays and Thurdays will be devoted to the Wenches of Words...A fun group of authors that will entertain you with their work. 

Today's Wench is Samantha Combs!!!

Waterdancer
by Samantha Combs

For Bailey Wasserman, being Bailey has recently become an incredible challenge. It's not enough that she must come to terms with her mother's new husband, their new life, and a new surfer boyfriend. When she meets her real father for the first time, she discovers a secret family trait that will alter the course of her own life and those she loves…maybe forever.
Bailey and her mom have always met life’s challenges as a team of two, more like best friends than mother and daughter. But her mom’s recent marriage has changed all of that, and having her little brother Landry is the only good Bailey can find in that union. The move to wealthy Del Mar from their humble beginnings has turned Bailey sour, until a chance meeting with surf hottie Jack West. Then Bailey’s father, with his annoying Zen-surfer lingo and a talking turtle he claims is no less than her spirit guardian, reenters her life and threatens the only relationship Bailey thinks is working in her world. She soon finds out that’s not all his arrival will do. His presence and their shared family trait could ultimately force Bailey to make a decision that will alter the course of her own life and those she loves…forever.

Excerpt

My mom dropped me at the edge of the high school driveway. “Honey, are you sure you don’t want me to go in with you?”
I glanced out the window of my mom’s car. Already we were attracting more attention than I wanted. Why did my mom have to park right in front of the school, not at the edge of the parking lot like I’d begged her to? Wasn’t it bad enough that she had married Warren in the first place and plunked me down in the middle of this alien nation like Valentine Smith in Stranger in a Strange Land? It was true, my mom, the former Sharona Wasserman, couldn’t wait to become Mrs. Warren Meyers. But I’d failed to consider the consequences of her marriage at the time. If I had, I would have realized at some point that a man that made as much money as Warren would never want to live in our simple three-bedroom house in Otay Mesa, three miles from the border and a hundred miles from the world he was used to living in. No, the first chance he got, he whisked us away to Del Mar, the most beautiful city I’d ever seen.
I’d learned to love it. It was perfect all summer long, and I went to the beach every day and sometimes didn’t come back to the gorgeous rented condo full of brand new furniture till well past nightfall. Then we all went to restaurants or had take-out, ’cuz Mom hardly cooked anymore, but I had never seen her so happy. I had to admit, my brother seemed pretty happy, too. I could fake my own happiness where appropriate. It didn’t really matter that Warren didn’t seem to like me so much. He loved my mom, and that was all that mattered, wasn’t it?

Buy link:
http://musapublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=376

5 comments:

Rita Monette, Writer said...

Sounds like a great teen book, Samantha! Hope it does well.

Sharon Ledwith said...

Sounds like you went with the flow on this book, Samantha. Yeah, that was a horrible pun, wasn't it? Cheers and best wishes for leaving the competition all wet. Wink.

Vonnie said...

Ah, this will really appeal to early teens, Sam. That "he doesn't really like me" about her stepfather and not wanting to rock the boat will ring a lot of bells. There's a lot of kids out there with the same problems. WTG.

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies. I'm so chuffed to be a part of this group. I have Vonnie on my bloggy today, too. And Vonnie, a lot is behind me, but they say to write what you know. I do.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Loved the excerpt. Way to go, Samantha!