Yummm! In the mood just because!
I love cranberries and the tangy bite of the BQ sauce goes great with them. Though given the calories this needed to be tweaked for my needs. My tweak is to use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Also, substitute Agave for the brown sugar.
The suggestion on the All Recipe site is to serve as an appetizer or along with the turkey dinner, but I can see this as a stand-alone meal, especially when the granddarlings are over. Add potatoes and a veggie and voila…the gang will be happy campers.
- 2 pounds ground beef (ground turkey works too)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup ketchup
1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (can cut back on)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (substitute Agave syrup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C).
2. Mix together the hamburger, bread crumbs, eggs, soy sauce, pepper, garlic powder and ketchup. Form into small balls and bake for 30 minutes.
3. In a saucepan over low heat, combine the cranberry sauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice. Simmer and stir until smooth. Add meat balls and simmer for I hour. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 718 | Total Fat: 37g | Cholesterol: 171mg